Monday, September 22, 2014

Monday Mania ~ Forecast for the Week: Highs and Lows

 Once again, our weekend didn't disappoint.
Dinner with friends...college game day, with friends...
and some time at home to clean, organize and prepare for our week.

In any career there are successes and challenges.
However, last week, I experienced the extreme for both.
Now, this doesn't happen very often, but a young lady was removed from my class for inappropriate behavior. Not, just the ordinary...but, concerning behaviors.

I am still thinking about her today, a week later.
(I said a little prayer for her in church yesterday.)
How can a 15 year old girl grow up to have so many issues?

And what does this have to do with Cinnamon Rolls?
Well, that is my success story for the week. It was Yeast Bread week in my Foods class...
and no one killed their yeast!

The rolls were beautiful and delicious.

Here is the Foods classroom where this takes place.
This term, of the 28 students, 20 are boys...
only 1 senior, 2 juniors, 4 sophomores, and the rest are freshmen.
Keep in mind, you can't see all of them here.
There are 2 more labs with 8 more freshmen boys behind the micorwave on the wall to the right.
My main mission is Safety First...
I don't think they are paying me enough!

Last Thursday, we held Parent/Teacher Conferences...
I think I reached a record high with 34 conferences.
Doesn't sound like much when I see 110 students a day,
but it does break down to about 10 conferences per hour,
from 5 - 8 p.m. The last hour, 8-9, is much slower.

google image~Line for iphone 6

Parents had a bit of a wait in a line outside my door...
maybe only 5 minutes, or so.
But one of the moms made my night.
She was next in line, I greeted her and brought her into my classroom.
She said, "We don't need to sit down, this will only take a minute or two."

"You don't have my daughter this term,
but when I came past your room, I just wanted to stop to tell you that you are her favorite teacher.
She is looking forward to your class next term."

Did I just make a remark earlier about my paycheck?
Well, you can't put $$$ on that...

Take care,
~Natalie

2 comments:

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

What a great lady to take the time to tell you! Kind of makes it all worth it, doesn't it?

Carol said...

Great post! I always found that the good out weighed the bad when I was teaching.
The cinnamon rolls look wonderful!

Smiles,
Carol

Visiting Family ~Weekday Routine ~Some Recreational Shopping ~Another Burger Battle Entry

Like all busy young families, the weekdays are filled with work, school, and activities. This Papa and Gigi enjoyed being able to attend bot...