Thursday, February 11, 2010

TGIF & Sweet Treats

With the snow and cold, it should be a perfect weekend to bake Valentine Cookies...and this is one of the absolute best recipes...
Cut-Out Sugar Cookies

1 cup margarine
1 ½ cup sugar
2 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla
3 ½ cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt




Cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs. Stir in vanilla. Mix dry ingredients. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the moist. Chill dough thoroughly.



Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll to 1/8” thick. Bake 6 to 8 minutes.

My Basic Foods class took this rolling, baking, frosting and decorating very seriously.


9 comments:

Kathy said...

I would love one of those for breakfast right now! :)

Anonymous said...

Bet they loved this baking day!

Busy Bee Suz said...

This looks really good Natalie.
I wonder though..can you substitute butter for the margarine? I am going to guess NO.
Have a nice weekend.
:)

Cathryn said...

That's my question--can we substitute butter for the margarine? Otherwise, these cookies look delicious!

Oklahoma Granny said...

I love to cook and bake pretty much everything but sugar cookies are at the top of my list. Looks like your group did a wonderful job. The cookies look so tasty - perfect for Valentine's Day. Will they last that long? I doubt it.

Willoughby said...

Great pictures. I love to see kids enthusiastic about cooking and baking. The cookies are adorable!

Cordwood Cabin said...

Mmmmm, those cookies look mouth-wateringly good right now ....

Simple Home said...

My mouth is watering. I have a daughter that loves to bake, maybe I can drop a hint :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

M said...

OOOOOOH, can you believe that is what we did in kindergarten?! Of course with the s.h.o.r.t day forced upon us due to massive over-enrollemnt, a nice mom baked the cookies and we frosted and decorated them.....and of course ate every bit of them right up :)

Amazing how many 5 year olds never had the chance to spread frosting...so they learned...and even get to lick their plastic knives :)

Visiting Family ~Weekday Routine ~Some Recreational Shopping ~Another Burger Battle Entry

Like all busy young families, the weekdays are filled with work, school, and activities. This Papa and Gigi enjoyed being able to attend bot...