Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Miss Me...But Let Me Go...

My always organized Mother keep all of her important papers in one place...
...in this vintage metal box.
It was in a small safe, with other important items, on the floor of her closet.

In this special (and always mysterious) box, I found birth certificates,
social security cards, my daddy's death certificate...
...and my mom's obituary that she had written for herself.

Tucked inside her Obituary, in her perfect penmanship,
was this poem. I want to share my find with our daughters,
Amy and Emily,
and with our extended family and my mom's friends.

Miss Me...But Let Me Go
When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me,
I want no rites in a gloom filled room.
Why cry for a soul set free?

Miss me a little but not too long,
And not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that we once shared,
Miss me, but let me go.

For this is a journey we all must take,
And each must go alone.
It's all a part of the Master's plan,
A step on the road to home.

When you are lonely and sick at heart,
Go to the friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds.
Miss me, but let me go.
Anonymous



Take care, 
~Natalie

12 comments:

PatC - All is Bright said...

What a beautiful poem. My deepest sympathy for your loss. She must of been not just a beautiful women, but a wonderful Mother.

Blessings,
Pat

Angie Berry ~ Berry Homespun Primitives said...

Oh wow, beautifully said~

Busy Bee Suz said...

The poem is beautiful....and your Mother was such a thoughtful person to have all this for you. *tears*
Thinking of you all.
XO

M said...

How sweet...my mom had no organization at all...I had to go through stacks and stacks of "stuff" to find the important papers and separate them from the not needed recycle materials. So I have made it a point to not leave a mess for my own kids.

I hope you are diong well :)

Deb said...

Natalie, that is so beautiful and touching, I'm typing this with tears in my eyes. Your Mom was a very special and wonderful woman, thank you for sharing part of her with us all. {{Hugs}}, Deb

Leah said...

Beautiful poem ~ left by a very thoughtful woman... all that will make things easier for you as you plan. "miss me...but let me go" (a very touching post).

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Beautiful poem ~ but so true.
Natalie I'm so sorry to hear about your loss of your beloved Mom.
Thanks so much for sharing her with all of us over the years.
She was a very special person.
I'll be thinking about you.
Blessings
Robin

Anonymous said...

A truly thoughtful Mother indeed. To think of you rather than herself. What a beautiful gift to find such a box filled with love and memories. Lovely indeed. Hugs. Tammy

Ann said...

Natalie, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom's passing. The poem she saved was beautiful. ~Ann

jennifer768 said...

Natalie thanks for sharing the beautiful poem.My deepest sympathy and continued prayers.Hugs,Jen

Linda said...

What an amazing woman. Thank you for sharing, Natalie.

Renna said...

Natalie, I just checked in at Google Reader, the first time in awhile, and caught up on your blog posts. I was so very sorry to read about your mom. From the way you spoke of her, and the way you and your girls were so good to travel and spend time with her, it was obvious she was well loved by you all. To have her children and grandchildren love her so, indicates she must have been a loving person, herself. You were blessed to be raised by such a woman. I know you'll miss her, but I'm sure part of you is rejoicing for her that she is indeed now with the Master!

Road Trip ~Day Three ~Burger Battle ~Sweet Shopping Highlights

Our last full travel day took us through four states… Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Including some Big Bridges over some Big ...