Friday, January 8, 2016

Holiday Traditions ~Out with the Old... In with the New ~~Lutefisk vs. Lobster on Christmas

It was my first Christmas in 59 years 
that there was no Lutefisk on our Christmas Eve dinner table.
I am the only one left that would enjoy that little delicacy.

My Grandpa would show up at our
house with a 5 pound bundle of fresh lutefisk. 
There was always enough for our family and the farmyard cats.

My daddy was always in charge of cooking our lutefisk.  
Here he is in 1984...
checking for the right degree of doneness.

While it was women's work to prepare the rest of the meal.
Yes, that's me...pregnant with daugher #1
(my, how maternity fashions have changed)

Last week, my friend offered to share her package of Lutefisk with me.
A serving size for one!
It was the perfect amount.

Here's how I prepared it.
Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a casserole dish.
And it has to be butter, not margarine.

Place the lutefisk in the melted butter in the oven.
Cover and bake at 425 degrees, for 20 minutes.

It flakes easily and is not mushy.

Tastes like Christmas.

Remember the year we celebrated Christmas in Boston?
Emily looked for Lutefisk in their supermarket, with no luck.

We didn't mind. While in Boston, one should eat like the Bostonians.
That year, we acquired some new holiday traditions.

So, for our New Year Celebration,
Hubby prepared a couple of Lobster Tails.

I hope you all were able to enjoy your favorite holiday tradtions.

Take care,
~Natalie

2 comments:

Kit said...

Watching your Bison team play ball. Good luck to them! :) Kit

Kit said...

I love your fish tradition! But I must admit, I would much prefer the lobster...LOL And by the way, I love your maternity dress. More my taste than what they wear now. Congrats on your win! Kit

Time Spent with Family ~Odds and Ends ~Sweet Memories

Perhaps my most favorite thing is spending time visiting our adult children in their homes… Just being a part of their everyday routine make...