Wednesday, April 29, 2009

To Market...To Market...

Since I teach Foods classes at CHS, I stop at the supermarket nearly every morning. I park in this lot that is adjacent to the hospital's lot. This is my daily reminder of how much I appreciate my good health. About 2 1/2 years ago I was there, in that hospital, attached to an IV pole, for 10 days. Every morning, I woke at my usual time...and I'd walk laps around the unit. See the window up by the Avera St. Lukes sign? That is the 5th floor window where I stood to look down...on this parking lot...watching people scurry into the store as a part of their routine. And I actually missed it...the hustle and bustle of the early morning supermarket. And what did I buy? Yesterday...
Easy Macaroni and Cheese
1/2 lb. elbow macaroni
8 oz. process cheese spread (look for the lower fat option)
1/2 c. green pepper, chopped
1/4 c. onion finely chopped
1 tsp. butter
1 c. evaporated fat-free milk
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. dry bread crumbs
1 tsp. butter
Cook macaroni, drain and set aside. Cut cheese into cubes and set aside. In a saucepan, saute green pepper and onion over medium low heat in 1 tsp. butter about 2 minutes. Stir in evaporated milk and cheese cubes. Cook, stirring constantly until cheese is melted and mixture is well blended. Stir in the pepper. Combine cheese mixture with cooked macaroni in a greased casserole dish. Mix gently. Pour melted butter over breadcrumbs and sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

8 comments:

sweetiepie said...

Yum, that mac and cheese sounds so good, I am going to make it for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing.

dee begg said...

Natalie...

I thought you were going to say to "buy a fat pig"...so disappointed, but your mac n cheese picture perked me right back up....now to find a way to cook it on the grill as I have no kitchen yet!

D

Apple Tree Cottage said...

Thanks for the recipe and the inspiration you gave along with it. Bless your heart...

Martha

Della said...

My family will love this recipe. Perhaps I will make it tonight to go with the ham that hubbs is fixing.

Suzanne said...

Sometimes we catch glimpses into our blogging friends lives that we didn't know existed -- this post was like that for me today. I'm grateful that you are recovered and able to buy the ingredients for mac 'n cheese today. Who ever thought that buying processed cheese could put us in a reflective mood. ;o) Next time I buy those ingredients I'll send up a little "thank you" for good health - for both you and me!

Renna said...

My mouth is watering!

I'm sorry you were laid up for so long, Natalie, but am happy that you are now healthy now! :-)

Unknown said...

It's amazing how the "little things" in life are missed so much when we're not able to do them. I'm so glad you're healthy now. Thanks for the recipe!

Nancy

Carol said...

Nothing like a warm gooey plate of mac n cheese!!

Visiting Family ~Weekday Routine ~Some Recreational Shopping ~Another Burger Battle Entry

Like all busy young families, the weekdays are filled with work, school, and activities. This Papa and Gigi enjoyed being able to attend bot...