Saturday, March 6, 2010

TGIF & That's Sooo Gross

In my Basic Foods class we are studying Combination Foods...Casseroles and Soups.
Last week we made a cream soup...to learn how to make a roux.  This has to be one of my favorite labs...ever...

...because we make Potato Soup.  Along with potatoes, it has onion and bacon and it is simply delicious.  If you have not tried our recipe, you can find it here.
This week...we made our Clear Soup...starting with homemade Chicken Stock.  I have shared this recipe before...
And I use this opportunity to teach the students how to cut up a chicken.  I love the looks on their faces...
"Mrs. G...You want us to do what??"
Some will tackle this task head-on.

Others try to find their sense of humor.
But most take on the task with a sense of responsibility....because they know I wouldn't ask them to do this, if it was't important!
There are usually 3 or 4 students in each lab group.  Usually, at least one student will step up to the plate and some will watch the process from the side-lines.
On some occasions, some of the studets will even refuse to pose with their chicken.
But before too long, each lab group has their chicken half cut into about  4 pieces and simmering them for soup stock.
We strain our broth and chill it in the refrigerator overnight.  The 2nd day I can show them how to remove the fat that has solidified on the top. 
We cut the chicken meat into bite size pieces...and add it, along with some noodles and a few peas to the simmering broth.
How can something that started out so gross, end up tasting sooo good?!

5 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I used to work as a teacher's assistant in high school - I miss the good old days for me - looks like fun.

The basic chicken stock - is something everyone should learn to do.

Looks like fun.

Sandie

Oklahoma Granny said...

When I was in Home Ec (way OLD term) back in the day I thought that's what I wanted to do - teach Home Economics. But God had other plans for me and my life went in a different direction. Looks like I missed out on a whole lot of fun. Your kids will carry their lessons with them throughout their lives.

Cath's Pennies Designs said...

Funny pictures! Actually, that's such a great thing to learn in class and it looks like their having fun doing it too. You are teaching them things that they will do for the rest of their lives!
Cathy

jodi said...

I love the pictures.

Elizabeth said...

Amazing, high school students look the same everywhere!! Cute

Visiting Family ~Weekday Routine ~Some Recreational Shopping ~Another Burger Battle Entry

Like all busy young families, the weekdays are filled with work, school, and activities. This Papa and Gigi enjoyed being able to attend bot...