Thursday, June 27, 2024

Class Reunion & All-School Alumni Days ~Day Three ~Weekend of Friends, Family ~Community Worship Service

It was a perfect culmination to our Reunion weekend,
worshiping together as a community.
We woke up Sunday to beautiful sunshine and the entrance to this
old country church was adorned with beautiful flowers.

Friends and Family gathered early to visit before the service.
I had not been inside that little country church for decades.
I loved getting reacquainted with the Bye girls, my second cousins.
 When our parents went out for dinner,
Judy, or one of her sisters, babysat for me.

And the sanctuary looked exactly like I remembered it.

Thanks, Judy, for sending this photo.

The exterior of the church was renovated last summer,
and has now returned to its original charming facade.

This is what it looked like when we visited last May.
The church had been surrounded by the flood waters of Devils Lake.

Remember this photo of our farm…
No one could get there as all the roads were under water.
The Antiokia Church would be just off to the left in that photo.

After the service, most folks walked around the cemetery
to pay tribute to their Norwegian heritage.
Andrew J Kirkeide descendants: Carol Solberg Hart, John Smith,
Marcia Bye Kuznia, Ron Smith, Judy Bye Schrade, and Natalie Myhre Geffre.
All cousins & second cousins & graduates of Churchs Ferry High School.

Andrew J. Kirkeide was our great grandfather,
A North Dakota State Senator.

He built our family home, where we all have fond memories.
That farmhouse is just “a stone’s throw” from the church.

His wife Agnes was laid to rest in the cemetery there, too.

In this Four Generation photo, that’s my daddy on the left.
My Grandma Rhuda to the right.
And our Great Grandma Kirkeide is in the center.
She is 84 and I am only a few weeks old.

Pastor Jim Sorum, a friend from high school, led us in worship.
We sang three hymns, all old favorites.
His sermon was personal and inspirational.

It was the perfect ending to a wonderful weekend.

My Birthday…what a way to celebrate.
We met friends early for breakfast.
We gathered with friends and family for worship
in a place that had been a part of my childhood.

All of this, the familiar surroundings, the people I love,
Pastor Jim’s sermon, and the comforting music,
Sparked a lot of sweet memories.
I spent time reflecting on my first 68 years
with gratitude and joy.

And also thinking ahead to my next thirty years
with hope and anticipation.

Take care,
~Natalie

No comments:

Class Reunion & All-School Alumni Days ~Day Three ~Weekend of Friends, Family ~Community Worship Service

It was a perfect culmination to our Reunion weekend, worshiping together as a community. We woke up Sunday to beautiful sunshine and the ent...