Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Make Half Your Grains Whole

You already know that I teach a High School class called Fitness for Life.
And everyone knows about the food guide pyramid.

But does everyone practice the guidelines?!

Today, we made muffins in class and I thought they all were so amazing that I want to share the recipe!

Berry Teatime Muffins

1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup rolled oats
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 beaten egg
¾ cup milk
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup cooking oil
½ tsp. vanilla
¾ cup blueberries or
Raspberries

Preheat oven to 400˚. Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper cups. Set aside. In a large bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center.
In a small bowl, combine the egg, milk, brown sugar, oil and vanilla. Add to flour mixture all at once. Stir just till moistened (batter will be lumpy). Gently fold blueberries into the batter.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or till golden. Cool in muffin cups for 5 minutes; remove muffins from cups.
These were so good. Notice the small amount of oil...only 1/4 cup...also...you could use some whole wheat flour for some of the all-purpose flour. Or substitue craisins for the blueberries...the possibilites are endless!

8 comments:

M said...

....cooking in class? See, you could teach kindergarten!! -And this assignement my son would have enjoyed! I can't fill him up these days!

175 days to go here!

Angie said...

Mmm ... this sounds good. I think I'll have to give it a try. I know my son would love it! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Renna said...

I have been wanting a really good muffin recipe, thanks!

I think I will try as you suggested and replace some of the flour with whole wheat. Plus, I have no blueberries on hand, but I do have some Craisins. Not sure I'd have thought of that!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Oh that looks yummy! I am trying to wean my family off of enriched flour and substitute whole wheat flour whenever possible...so I will probably cut the flour a bit....thanks for the recipe!

Debra said...

Sounds yummy!! Must try them soon.

Suzanne said...

Ohhh, I love muffins. These sound incredible -- love the oats and I'll definitely try it with at least 1/2 whole wheat. I buy the great big frozen blueberries and put them in my muffins, so in they will go too. Yum!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Yes, that's my front porch but it is last year's picture:)
I just wanted to say from reading some of your posts that you are a fabulous teacher! I hope my two son's who are teachers are like you in their class rooms.
I also liked the journals that they collaged, what a great way to know them.
Rondell

Sandra Williams said...

This sounds delicious!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

And, CONGRATS on your first Etsy Sale!! doing the HAPPY DANCE for ya!

Visiting Family ~Weekday Routine ~Some Recreational Shopping ~Another Burger Battle Entry

Like all busy young families, the weekdays are filled with work, school, and activities. This Papa and Gigi enjoyed being able to attend bot...