Thursday, January 1, 2009

Tips for a Postitive Attitude

More than 100 years ago, author Robert Louis Stevenson offered the following tips for maintaining a positive attitude...and they still seem so appropriate for today.
1. Make up your mind to be happy. Learn to find pleasure in simple things.
2. Make the best of your circumstances. Everyone has problems. The trick is to make laughter outweigh the tears.
3. Don't take yourself too seriously. Don't think that somehow you should be protected from misfortunes that befall others.
4. You can't please everybody. Don't let criticism worry you.
5. Don't let your neighbor set your standards. Be yourself.
6. Do the things you enjoy doing, but stay out of debt.
7. Don't borrow trouble. Imaginary burdens are harder to bear than the actual ones.
8. Hate poisons the soul. Don't carry grudges. Avoid people who make you unhappy.
9. Have many interests. If you can't travel, read about new places.
10. Don't hold post-mortems. Don't spend your life brooding over sorrows and mistakes.
11. Do what you can for those less fortunate than yourself.
12. Keep busy at something. A busy person never has less time to be unhappy.
Best Wishes to my family and to my friends
for love, happiness and success
in 2009.

14 comments:

MSM said...

I love this! Another thing to print and put on the fridge; thanks for sharing it.

Kim Caro said...

great post! happy new year!

Tolentreasures said...

Great post, perfect words to live by in the New Year and always.

Cathy

Kindra-At Home With K said...

Yes, I agree! I will be printing this for a great reminder! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!

Amanda said...

I love this, too! What great advice.

Suzanne said...

Good advice never grows old! Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year!

Kelly said...

Oh I do love this... May I place this on my blog too!!

Hope you and yours have a wonderful New Year.

My year is really just now starting on the 2nd, Ha! Stayed up way to late New Years Eve, and rested most of the first... Now time to take the tree down etc..

Look forward to visiting more with you through our blogs!!

Beautiful New Years Blessings~
Kelly Maria

pam said...

That's a great list!

planettreasures said...

I love all those tips, I'm going to print them aout and keep them.
thanks for sharing.

SnazzyJazzie said...

i have found these phrases absolutely inspiring. will scrap up a page on this as a reminder for 2009!! thanks for sharing this.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I love this - it is very much in keeping with my last two posts. I may borrow this -I'llbe sure to link back to you for credit though.

hugs, Linda

Kathleen J. said...

I love this list. Thank you for sharing it!

Michelle said...

Love it! Great advice!

Visiting Family ~Weekday Routine ~Some Recreational Shopping ~Another Burger Battle Entry

Like all busy young families, the weekdays are filled with work, school, and activities. This Papa and Gigi enjoyed being able to attend bot...