Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday Mania ~ Help...My Viking is Down...

You heard me right...
My Viking doesn't work...the feeddogs won't move...
Therefore, the fabric does not move under the presser foot.
We purchased invested in my Viking in 1980.
That makes him 30 years old...
(That would be 210 in dog years)
But I had to have him...I taught sewing in High School.
I taught Adult Sewing classes through the Technical School.
I taught Sewing Classes at Northwest Fabrics.
.
I could count on him to sew on buttons and to create a beautiful blind hemming stitch to shorten all of my skirts and trousers.
Change the little computer panel and we could create beautiful embroidery stitches.
My Viking and I stitched bedspreads, drapery, tablecloths and pillows.
We made wool suits for myself and sportcoats for my hubby.
Well, in fact we sewing all of my clothing...dresses, skirts, tops, coats, pants, jackets, pajamas...I even made jeans and my own lingerie.
And then for our daughters...matching dresses
at Christmas and at Easter.
So...now...what to do?
(I just can't bear to send him to the sewing machine graveyard.)
And, do you see how my Hobbylock is trying to inch over into his space?
I love my serger, but there are just certain things that Hobbylock can't do,
like gathering, topstitching, or a narrow rolled hem...

In the meantime...out of storage...
My Singer Genie.
She was my high school graduation gift in the 70's.
Like today's graduate buys a laptop...I bought a sewing machine.
After all...I was going away to major in Textiles and Clothing.
I took every clothing construction course offered.
So...for now...Genie is my "It Girl".
Together we went to college, we adjusted to dorm life, we lived at the sorority house, we stayed up all night to finish projects for my construction courses, we earned our degree, we secured a job teaching Home Economics...

Together...we sewing my wedding dress.

We go way back.

I'd love to hear from any of you if you think there is hope for my Viking friend.
He's been to the most reputable sewing machine shop in South Dakota, but that certainly doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that has a part and can fix him.

He's worth it. 

Take care,
~Natalie

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vintage! Love seeing these machines and wonder if perhaps you just have some lent or threads caught?
BTW...wanted to check and see if your quilt arrived.

pam said...

Oh no!! I don't know anything about fixing machines, I wish I did.

Suzanne said...

A few years ago I wanted to get my '70's Singer fixed and the repairman laughed. Apparently it is next to impossible to get machine parts for sewing machines that old. So frustrating because they don't make machines like they used to!

Unknown said...

I have never used a Viking, but on my sewing machine there is a button to drop the feed dogs down. Is there a button that you may have bumped and the dog dropped down! It could also be a lever. Also google owner manuals and see if you could find some out. Good luck, this is like losing an old friend.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh my gosh..this is a big deal. I have no words of advice...except: I want you to teach ME to sew.
Good luck with the viking. what a memory maker.

Moneik said...

Seeing the Genie brings back such good memories as that is the same machine my mom got when she went away to major in home ec with a textile emphasis. It's the same one I learned to sew on too. They sure don't make machines like they used to, but I think you'd love the new features available on models today. Time to invest in your future... the time after school is done.

Claudya Martinez said...

Good luck to your Viking!

Erzebat said...

oh my!! I still have MY Genie from the 70s! its sitting in my closet! I got mine as a graduation gift from high school in '75. I havent used it in years but I think Iwill have to dig it out! thanks for the flash back! (mauh) Liz

Oklahoma Granny said...

I got a featherweight Singer sewing machine as my graduation gift. Although I didn't get a degree like yours my little machine sewed many, many things for me and my children. It's been retired for several years now but I still have it and love it to pieces.

I certainly hope you can find someone who can repair your machine!

jodi said...

Sorry to hear about you sewing machine. I also got mine for graduation (78). It still works and keeping my fingers crossed as it is easy to use.
The refrigerator that we bought was Whirlpool Gold 24.8 Cu. Ft. French Door Refrigerator (Color: Silver) ENERGY STAR®. The one that I liked more but that we don't have a repairman for was Samsung.

Tolentreasures said...

I recently posted a saga on my sewing machines in life. I, too received a sewing machine for graduation. Seems as though that is more common than I thought. That is too bad about your machine. I have a newer Brother that I like, but go back to an old brown Singer that I found at a yard sale for the heavy duty stuff. My graduation machine died many years ago, somewhere in Easter dresses, I am sure! Good Luck!

Cathy

Visiting Family ~Weekday Routine ~Some Recreational Shopping ~Another Burger Battle Entry

Like all busy young families, the weekdays are filled with work, school, and activities. This Papa and Gigi enjoyed being able to attend bot...