Sunday, April 10, 2011

Weekend Road Trip

It's about a four hour road trip to visit my mom.
(Depends on how many stops we make along the way!)
Mom was interested in going for an afternoon drive to see how water is threatening the community where she has lived all of her life.
Do you see how water is running over the road?


We could no longer drive up to the house where I lived as a young girl...
It is surrounded by water...all the way out to the main road here.
The water is also threatening our family's farmstead here.

Here is the little church where hubby and I were married nearly 30 years ago.
And the Hall where family and friends danced the evening away.
All threatened by the rising waters of Devils Lake.

While much of our drive was heartbreaking, we had a nice time reminiscing about where mom had lived, taught in country schools, raised a family, worshiped, volunteered, and later retired, before moving to the assisted living facility.  She is 90 and has a wealth of memories to share.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Take care,
~Natalie

7 comments:

Holli~Where The Rooster Crows said...

Wow! Hope that water recedes! Glad you enjoyed your drive though.

Natalie said...

I understand how heartbteaking some of the trip was but what a beautiful time to share memories. Treasure that day forever. My grandmom will be 85 this year. Whenever we are together, which is quite often since she is now my only "mom", I love to hear her stories.

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

How sad about the rising water.
Sounds like you had a great day
with your mom. Enjoy the memories.
Prim Blessings
Robin

Anonymous said...

Water, water everywhere and now rain adding insult to injury. Where is the sunshine? It's great to take time for those journeys! I posted some pics from yesterday's show.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend-
Deb

Firecracker Kid said...

Aww, that was still a nice ride for your mom though. To get out and go ya know. My FIL really loves to do that too now, even moreso now that he has onset of altzheimers. He keeps going back to his youth ya know. Oh my high water... I grew up near it and we were flooded all the time. Hubby and I's little church where we were married is still standing, but the town's general store has long since been torn down. Memories to cherish forever:)
Carol

Sherry Hicks said...

Thanks for following me! I am now following you. I love that you get to visit and take your mom for drives.sorry about the water and what is happening. Mom's are so precious I just lost mine 4 weeks ago at 69 I wish I could have had so much more time. Enjoy every moment and make them as often as you can!
Hugs
Sherry

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am so sorry that this is happening in such a special area! Heartbreaking.
Wonderful that you were able to visit with Mom; glad she is doing well.

Time Spent with Family ~Odds and Ends ~Sweet Memories

Perhaps my most favorite thing is spending time visiting our adult children in their homes… Just being a part of their everyday routine make...