Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ms. Independent

No, I'm not referring to a 2 year old...it's my 88 year old mother. In early December, her doctor told her that because of the results of her stress test, she needs to have another angiogram. So I said, 'Mom, just let me know ahead of time and I'll make plans to come up and take you'...So...just got done visiting with her...we visited about her doctor's appointment that she had last week...and I asked her if he said anything more about the angiogram...Her reply...
'Oh, I'm having that Monday, the 2nd. I've made arrangements to take the Senior Bus.' What! You're taking the bus to get your angiogram??? You need to know that it is 90 miles from Devils Lake (where she lives) to Grand Forks (where her heart doctor performs this procedure)...
She sounded as casual as if she was taking the bus downtown for a haircut...
You see...she lives 200 miles from me...but, I could go there, and be with her throughout...she just needs to let me know a couple of days in advance. But as it stands...she is taking the bus to go have an angiogram...cause that's what she wants to do...

10 comments:

Sharon said...

My parents do the same silly things. They're in their 60's and I worry over them. I can only imagine how much you worry over yours in her 80's.

Have a blessed evening
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Really, Grammy is taking the bus to Grand Forks?? Does she have to stay overnight? I wish we could go and take her again. :(

Muddy said...

That sounds a lot like my mother. Hope the procedure goes well for her.

sweetiepie said...

I would be afraid something would go wrong and she would have to be hosptilized or something. I wonder if she ever thought of that.

I pray all goes well for her.

Audrey said...

Your mother sounds like my grandmother!! Grandma slowly became blind while I was young - but that didn't slow her down much at all. A very deterimined woman! Hope I'm that way when I'm 93!
But if I was in your situation - I'd feel the same way.

SnazzyJazzie said...

this sounds familiar. they get ultra stubborn sometimes. hope all's well with the procedure. just make sure she does not take a bus ride back after the angiogram!!

Della said...

I hope I can be that independent when I'm your mom's age. You should be very proud of her, and I can tell you are. A note about your previous post...you do not have the look of a senior citizen. I don't know which was worse, not being carded when I turned 21 or being offered a senior discount before I was eligible. We can't win.

Anonymous said...

Our parents are something aren't they? I'm with you on this one....and I'm sure you'll be a bundle of nerves until you hear all went well.

Michelle said...

Oh, bless her! I hope I am that independent! And I hope the angiogram turns out allright!!

Carol said...

Ah, what a sweet mama. I hope it all turns out well.

Visiting Family ~Weekday Routine ~Some Recreational Shopping ~Another Burger Battle Entry

Like all busy young families, the weekdays are filled with work, school, and activities. This Papa and Gigi enjoyed being able to attend bot...