Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Our Family Farmstead ~Our Family’s Home ~Tough Weekend, continued ~Sharing Memories

We made the 4+ hour drive north to visit Grammy on the farm
a couple of times every year. Here we are sitting in the second Parlor,
that’s the formal parlor, in the summer of 1989.

This parlor had the sofa, a few chairs, and my Mother’s Piano.
We sat there when guests came to visit and for special occasions.
On Sundays, after dinner, I would play the piano
and my Grandpa sang hymns.

Hubby and I opened our Wedding Gifts in that Parlor,
surrounded by extended family.

If you missed yesterday’s post, you may want to go back to start at the beginning.
See the front porch, and the picture window that faces south
and another big window facing east,
that is the formal parlor.

Speaking of my Grandpa, he was courting my Grandmother,
who grew up there. See that grove of trees, about a half a mile across that field?
Many times I listened to his story about how he took
Grandma for a ride in the buggy, and stopped over by those trees.
 Perhaps he whispered “sweet nothings” in her ear?

He might have proposed there?

Every Sunday, when we went into the formal parlor, my Grandpa retold the story
about how he stood beside the Lutheran Minister in the far corner of that room
and watched his Bride, my Grandmother walk down
this beautiful bannister, across both parlors to say their vows.

Here’s how that corner looks now.

Those two picture windows featured an etched window above,
like in the Dining Room.

And here’s how the stairway looks now.
Yes, someone came in and stole the bannister and every single spindle.

Close your eyes and picture my Grandmother, it’s 1914…
She hesitates at the top of that stairway and then
places her hand on the railing to walk down to meet her Groom.

Chip and Joanna would have worked their magic
on these parlor floors.
The house was truly beautiful in its day…
And so are the memories.

It was the end of another day on the farm.

I was ready to leave.
The odor in the house is unhealthy, even with a mask.
And all that tall grass…it’s loaded with ticks.

Take care,
~Natalie 

No comments:

Celebrating 100 Years ~A Weekend with Sisters ~Sharing Old Memories and Making New Ones

Sigma Psi Chapter of Kappa Delta Sorority is 100 years old. This is the first pledge class. I pledged my Freshman Year at NDSU, Fifty years ...