Sunday, November 3, 2013

All Saints' Sunday ~ Remembering my Mom

Today, the first Sunday in November,
we honor and remember all our church members that died in the past year.

We lit a candle as their name was read, along with this prayer...
"Living God, we thank you for the gift of life eternal, 
and for all those who having served you well, now rest from their labors. 
Today we give thanks for those who during the last twelve months have died and entered into glory."

My mother was a woman of strong faith.
As a young married woman, she worked along side my dad on the farm,
and like so many women in the 1950s and 1960s, she also worked in the church.

She was a member of the women's group and attended Bible Study once a month. When it was her turn to lead the lesson, she spent hours with her Bible and Devotion Book.
These women served at receptions for weddings, anniversaries and funerals.
My mom was the Sunday School Superintendent and sang alto in the choir.
And once a month, we would pack a lunch to spend the day in town cleaning the church.

In her later years, mom had lost most of her hearing and her precious eyesight.
There was very little that she could do, and she questioned why the Lord kept her here...but the answer was always the same...

 She was here to pray for her family.

Today, a candle was lit in remembrance of my mom.
"Lord, we thank you for her life and love among us.
We rejoice with her in her new life with you."

Blessings to all of you who are 
remembering loved ones on this All Saints' Sunday.

Take care,
~Natalie

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Natalie,
I'm so sorry, I didn't know your mother passed. My sincerest sympathies to you and your family. I know what an important part of your family she was.

Nancy

Kit said...

What a lovely way to remember her. Take care, Kit

My Colonial Home said...

Hi Natalie,
We had a sermon on All Saints Day yesterday.
What a wonderful tribute to your mother.
Karen

Suzanne said...

This was such a beautiful tribute to your mother.

Deb said...

A wonderful remembrance of your Mom Natalie and what a beautiful picture of her with Amy & Emily. Sending {{hugs}} to you all, Deb

Attic Clutter said...

oh that is lovely Natalie(:)
I miss my mom too (:(
the Vintage fashion..
hehe I hear ya..way better then jeans a T's for sure ..
big hugs..Patty

Visiting Family ~Weekday Routine ~Some Recreational Shopping ~Another Burger Battle Entry

Like all busy young families, the weekdays are filled with work, school, and activities. This Papa and Gigi enjoyed being able to attend bot...