Monday, June 20, 2022

How Do You Like To Go Up In A Swing? ~by Robert Louis Stevenson

One of my favorite Poems
is The Swing by Robert Louis Stevenson.

My Mother taught in a One Room School House in the 1940s.
Memory work was a required part of the State’s Curriculum.
So she had many wonderful poems that she would recite to me
when she was doing her Farmhouse Chores.

“How do you like to go up in a swing,
Up in the air so blue?

Oh, I do think it is the pleasantest thing,
Ever a child can do!

Up in the air and over the wall,
Till I can see so wide,

Rivers and trees and cattle and all
Over the countryside.

Till I look down on the garden green,
Down in the roof so brown.

Up and the air I go flying again,
Up in the air and down!”

Henry and I went out to The Swing every morning…
…And every afternoon.
(Weather permitting, of course)
I worked to memorize those three beautiful verses,
And recite them with Henry when swinging.

This is the day, I told him that Gigi has to go home the next day.
It almost looks like he is processing that bit of information.

But no worries,
Henry will keep on Swinging
all summer long!

Take care,
~Natalie

No comments:

The Sanford Heart Hospital ~Good News to Share ~Update on Great Grandma

Some of you remember this photo that I posted the end of January. Hubby’s mother had appointments at the Heart Hospital in Sioux Falls. The ...